Online Voting Begins December 2018
It is an honor to be nominated to be the AUA President-Elect starting in 2020. I have worked with many of you for decades on behalf of our profession and our AUA. Our common priorities have included preservation of urologic private practice, optimization of patient care, promotion of education and resident training. That work continues and requires an ongoing broad and sustained effort at the highest level.
Ongoing priorities of the AUA should include:
• Fiscal and financial focus on program growth and sustainability.
• Continuing to address the urologic workforce issues.
• Broadening the educational partnership with the ABU.
• Prioritize closer working relationships with the many different urology subspecialty and interest groups.
• Ensure fair reimbursement for our services by CMS and private payers through the socioeconomic activities of the AUA Public Policy Council.
My career experience includes:
• Thirty years as a clinical urologist in a northern Florida private practice single specialty group where I served as managing partner, headed recruitment, expanded the practice and developed ancillary services.
• During my time in private practice, I served as adjunct professor for the University of Florida Department of Urology (UF). I taught generations of residents surgical technique and patient care at the Gainesville VAH.
• I returned to full-time academic practice at the University of Florida as Associate Professor in 2011. After several years as medical director of UF Health Urology, I served as interim Chairman of the Department of Urology from 2014 -2016. I continue to serve as Associate Chair.
• I served as the course director for an annual AUA Instructional Course on physician employment contracts from 2011 to 2017 and co-wrote the AUA business core curriculum in 2014.
• I was one of only 2 private practitioners on the 2006 AUA Task Force on the future of residency training. Out of that task force came the core curriculum, the maintenance of single tier training and an improved linkage to surgical internship.
• I am the founding president of UroGators, an organization that recognizes alumni of UF Urology.
• I received the resident teaching award in 2016.
• I have served the Florida Urological Society, the Southeastern Section and the AUA in multiple roles including as FUS and SES President and as the SES AUA representative to the AUA Board of Directors for the past 5 years.
• I serve as the Executive Director of the Florida Prostate Cancer Advisory Council advising the governor, state legislature and the state surgeon general on prostate cancer issues.
My career has extensively encompassed private practice, academic practice, education, business and service to our specialty. It is vitally important for the AUA President to have a broad experience in order to represent all urologists and to understand the everyday challenges of practice. Additionally, experience on the AUA Board of Directors is vital to insightfully lead our organization. I am the only candidate with experience that encompasses both private and academic practice as well as AUA board experience.
As your President I promise my utmost effort and dedication to represent all of urology. I appreciate our relationships and your ongoing support and guidance as you consider my candidacy.